Thursday, July 12, 2007

Maple Pork and Kow Neuw Mamuang

It's what we had for dinner last night. Maple glazed pork tenderloin with cheesy eggplant and garlic green beans.

For dessert I had some ripened mangoes in a paper bag so I decided to make one of my favorite desserts when my family would go to Thailand ... Kow Neuw Mamuang! Mango and sticky rice. Soooooo delicious. This recipe is very simple, so anyone can do it. Instead of sticky rice, I was using what I had on hand at the moment, which was, sushi rice! Just as soft and fragrant.

INGREDIENTS: (Serves 4)
1 cup sticky rice/sushi rice works too
1 cup water for cooking rice (or follow your rice cooker instructions)


2 ripe mangoes, sliced and chilled (important!)
1 can coconut milk
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds to garnish


I) I had cooked the sushi rice in the ricepot as usual.

II) While that was going on, I heated the can of coconut milk with sugar and salt until it boiled, then put on simmer for 5 minutes.


III) After the rice was cooked, I added in a portion of the coconut milk mixture until the rice became somewhat mushy and moist and folded it in so it was evenly coated.


IV) Next came toasting the sesame seeds, on low heat, make sure to stir often, or you can just buy pre-toasted seeds. I prefer toasting it myself because then you get the intense freshness of the seeds.


V) And finally, to put it all together on a plate! Voila~ I drizzled about a tablespoon of leftover coconut milk on the rice and mango, then dusted it with sesame seeds. Delicious!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Incredibly lovely, your creation. But doesn't Nabemono means "pot food"?